2005-07-25

A Wedding and a Funeral

It's a weekend of extremes, first of all, my friends Rob and Tiffany got married on Saturday night. I've got lots of pictures to go through and post, and I promise I'll try to do that this week. The reception was at Liuna Station, a very classy joint. I know at our table, when looking at the menu we thought that we'd have a choice between steak and cornish hen, however, when the steak came on it's own, we realized we were getting both! I was so stuffed after the steak (preceded by pasta) but as soon as I tsted that hen, I made some room. Magnifique!

The other extreme this weekend is that my Grandmother passed away on Friday in Belleville. She had been sick with cancer for a while now, so I know that it's good that she's not suffering anymore. I'll miss her a lot though. I was fortunate to come to McMaster, and have my grandparents literally living across the road from there. I used to rollerblade over from residence with my laundry basket in hand, every week, returning after dinner with clean clothes, and often a loaf that she'd baked.
We spent last night with her sister, my great aunt, going through tons of pictures, some from as far back as when she was a young child. Some of the pictures we found show a completely different side to my nana that I never knew. We made a 5 bristol board picture tribute to her life, and it was quite a life. She was a great person, and I'm glad to have known her for as long as I have.
The funeral is at 11 today in Ancaster, it's going to be tough, but also I find them to be somewhat enjoyable. You get to see family that you don't often see, and catch up with what's been going on. There are always funny stories told about the person who passed. I'm sure this one will be no different.

I'll miss you Nana.

4 comments:

Bradtholomew said...

You're going to have to make a scan of that one picture of her... you know, the one out in front of the house, a beer in one hand... haha

Martin Cathrae said...

oh I have pictures. I took some closeup shots of the good ones. They'll be uploaded sometime this week I hope.

Anonymous said...

my condolences, bud. Didn't realize anything on Saturday.

Martin Cathrae said...

no worries, I didn't really want to tell people...